The people who need help and the people who can give help are all part of the same community. There are many ways you can help literacy by getting involved with READ.
Become a volunteer tutor
Our Partners adult literacy program is free and offers one-to-one tutoring to adult learners. Minimum requirements for volunteer tutors are:
Excellent command of the English language, both oral and written
High school graduation or equivalent
At least 19 years of age
Patient and non-judgemental
Complete a criminal record check
We accept applications all year. Next training: Fall 2017
Download the volunteer info package or
apply now by filling in the form below:
Make a donation
We are grateful for all cash and in-kind donations we receive. We are in the process of applying for Charitable status. Until then we cannot give out charitable tax receipts.
However as a friend, supporter or partner you will be recognized!
- You will be recognized on our website
- You will be recognized on our website and our print materials
- Your organization’s name will be recognized on our website and in all print materials featuring your logo and name. We are actively visiting community organizations and will mention your name in all community presentations and events.
Become a member of our Society
Become a member of READ Surrey White Rock Society and support our mission of assisting individuals in our communities to achieve their literacy goals!
Membership in READ allows you to:
- Support the cause of adult literacy in reading, writing and math
- Vote at the READ Annual General Meeting
- Receive the READ newsletter
- Volunteer with READ
Become a board member
Join the Surrey White Rock Literacy Task Group
The Surrey White Rock Literacy Task Group is a community alliance that coordinates and integrates literacy work in Surrey and White Rock.
You can learn more about it here.
Raise awareness of the literacy needs in our community