You are welcome here
Many people are made to feel embarrassed because they have low literacy. We understand what it feels like. Partners is a one-to-one tutoring program for adults who struggle with reading, writing or math. Partners is a safe, welcoming program where you can improve your literacy skills without fear or shame.
Who Can Join the Partners Program?
You must be
- an adult
- living or working in Surrey or White Rock
- reading/writing/math skills at grade 8 or less
- fluent in English (this is not an English language learning program)
Some of our learners did not finish high school. Some of our learners did. We are a great option if you cannot or do not want to go to formal classes.
Who Are the Tutors?
Tutors are volunteers who have been screened and trained. Some have a teaching background, and some do not. All our tutors are patient and friendly.
How Does It Work?
We will talk to you about whether this program is right for you. If it is not a good fit, we will refer you to other programs.
Call us at 1-778-242-7323
Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not have a curriculum. We work on what you want to work on. Some of the things we can help with:
- sentence & paragraph structure
- writing process
- how to read
- reading comprehension
- adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing
- fractions, decimals
- word problems
- study skills
- organization skills
We also have extra workshops and celebrations so you can meet other learners and tutors. They’re casual and fun!
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Our program can help you:
- increase your confidence
- be a better reader
- improve your writing
- learn math
- gain literacy skills so you can find a job, get ready for training, or go back to school
- manage your daily reading/writing/math tasks
- get certifications or licenses (eg., driver’s knowledge test, FoodSafe)
You can stay with a tutor until you meet your goal. Some learners stay with us for a few months. Some stay with us for a few years - with breaks of course!
We have continuous intakes. You can start working with a tutor as soon as we find a good match for you.
Nothing. The Partners program is free.