You are welcome here
Many people are made to feel embarrassed because they have low literacy. We understand what it feels like. Partners is a one-to-one tutoring program for adults who struggle with reading, writing or math. Partners is a safe, welcoming program where you can improve your literacy skills without fear or shame.
Who Can Join the Partners Program?
You must be
- an adult
- living or working in Surrey or White Rock
- reading/writing/math skills at grade 8 or less
- fluent in English (this is not an English language learning program)
Some of our learners did not finish high school. Some of our learners did. We are a great option if you cannot or do not want to go to formal classes.
Who Are the Tutors?
Tutors are volunteers who have been screened and trained. Some have a teaching background, and some do not. All our tutors are patient and friendly.
How Does It Work?
We do not have a curriculum. We work on what you want to work on. Some of the things we can help with:
- sentence & paragraph structure
- writing process
- how to read
- reading comprehension
- adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing
- fractions, decimals
- word problems
- study skills
- organization skills
We also have extra workshops and celebrations so you can meet other learners and tutors. They’re casual and fun!
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Our program can help you:
- increase your confidence
- be a better reader
- improve your writing
- learn math
- gain literacy skills so you can find a job, get ready for training, or go back to school
- manage your daily reading/writing/math tasks
- get certifications or licenses (eg., driver’s knowledge test, FoodSafe)
You can stay with a tutor until you meet your goal. Some learners stay with us for a few months. Some stay with us for a few years - with breaks of course!
We have continuous intakes. You can start working with a tutor as soon as we find a good match for you.
Nothing. The Partners program is free.